Thursday, October 22, 2009

"Signs of Me" pilot project underway


Last night I helped six kids between the ages of 6 and 8 realize "street signs" that they dreamed up. I'd never helped kids that young, it was quite a trip! Part of a project by Pittsburgh artist Carley Parrish, "Signs of Me" is a Sprout funded "Spark" initiative where kids get to design signs that they'd like to see around the city about their favorite things (swimming, skateboarding, the night sky, etc). They rendered their ideas in Illustrator last week, and then I cut them out of vinyl using my plotting equipment. I brought everything in in stacks of stickers and we set to work assembling the signs - next week Carley installs them around the Polish Hill neighborhood in Pittsburgh, more pics when they get up! Pictured are Gaia, Jasmine, and Genley.

No comments: