Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Collections at the Children's Museum

Ally Reeves has the unique privilege of curating "collections" for a set of display cases over at the Pittsburgh Children's Museum. I'm really into this idea - so many people collect interesting or obscure things that even their friends rarely get to see. In September, Ally invited me to display a collection for a few months. I handed over an assortment of (mostly) natural odds and ends I had picked up while on a cross-country roadtrip back in August of 2006. Chunks of petrified wood, redwood bark and pinecones, odd stones and rocks, sand-worn wood - and my train ticket stubs from the ride home. I finally got to go in and see the collection today and it looked really important in its inset case, guarded by plexiglass.

Other collections on display: Thiago Hersan's Uno card collection (which I was next to), tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's movie and movie prop/costume collection, the Children's Museum's lost and found collection, Kyra Bingham's seashell and mineral collection, and Turadg Aleahmad's mask collection.

No comments: