Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Other styles of collaboration...

One of the ways in which I try to keep the bills paid around here is by freelancing design work, specifically in vinyl, for galleries, museums, artists, and independent businesses. Lately, this has allowed me some interesting opportunities to work directly with artists who want to do intriguing work with the tools I have. In a couple of recent cases, I was able to help actually manufacture signs as part of realizing projects.

Above is an image of two signs I just completed for artist and friend Josh MacPhee (the other design is the STRIKE sign to the right). The signs are part of a collaborative installation, "The Threat of Chance", with Chris Stain, Billy Mode, and The Polaroid Kidd at Ad Hoc Art in New York. When I get some shots of the signs in the context of the overall work, I'll post them. The show opens May 2.

Also this winter, I fabricated a series of twenty small metal signs (pictured below) along with Chicago-based ex-Pittsburgher Adam Grossi, who developed a compelling collaboration , "Provisions", with several mothers and workers at the Squirrel Hill Food Pantry. The signs are on display at the Pittsburgh Jewish Community Center for the exhibit "Making Hope Happen". I've been having an interesting dialog over email with Adam about the nature of this sort of work, much of which I hope to post here very soon...



No comments: